Just a shortish post (it started out shortish, but I wrote more than I had expected – Ed.) today which is probably just as much for my benefit as yours! I’m going to be writing about some projects that I have planned for the near future, which I can hopefully keep on top of. My refueled enthusiasm should help, but only time will tell.
Blood Bowl League
Currently, a few of my gaming friends are running a Warhammer Blood in the Badlands campaign. Once this is finished, I hope to start a small Blood Bowl league. At the moment it looks like their should be 8 teams taking part, which is a pretty decent number. I’m determined to see this league through to completion because the last one I ran fizzled out right at the end due to a couple of players never getting round to playing their games. This time, if you miss the match it will be a forfeit and we won’t stall on unplayed games.
From this league I will have numerous other things to take care of. First and foremost, getting my team built and painted. I’ve gone for a Chaos team this time, instead of my usual Orcs. I played a chaos team on my PC version of Blood Bowl, and with the ability to gain mutations I think it could be a fun team to play and convert model-wise. I have made alteration to the normal way you set up a chaos team however. Usually, you can choose from a Minotaur, Chaos Warriors and Beastmen, but I’ve chosen to use the Marauder models instead (keeping the Beastman stat-line) and I’ve converted a Chaos Spawn to count as my Minotaur. This does not give me an in-game advantage in any way, it was purely an aesthetic choice as I’m not a massive fan of the actual Chaos Blood Bowl team. I have made considerations whilst doing this as well. For example, I made sure all the marauders I have assembled have horned helmets to make sure the “Horns” special rule the Beastmen get still makes sense.
Secondly, I’m looking to get a custom pitch for Magnusson’s Marauders, as I’ve chosen to call them. I’ve been looking on FF Fields for quite a while now and really like their stuff. I’m hoping to get a custom logo made for my team as well. I have contacted them and I’m currently awaiting a reply and price quote. As well as this I shall also attempt to make my own dugout, something avid Blood Bowl players tend to do. The best one I have seen to date however can be viewed here.
Finally, some of you may already know, I’d like to run a fantasy football style league using the stats that are generated from my Blood Bowl league. This way people I know on interwebz that can’t take part in the actual league will instead be able to monitor the leagues progress and also have a bit of fun themselves.
Attempting to get up to speed with my painting
I think it is safe to say I probably won’t need to buy many models for a very long time. Luckily, with the discovery that Fairy Power Spray can strip the paint off of plastic models without melting the plastic itself, I will be able to salvage a lot of old models that I’m not happy with. This includes:
- Space Marines (WH40k): I think I might be on my 3rd or 4th paint scheme for my marines at the moment. The amount of paint stripping I need to do is scary, but I’m very happy with my current scheme and it is pretty quick and easy to make each marine look pretty good which is the main thing.
- Ogre Kingdoms (WHFB): 3rd paint scheme for these guys.
- Imperial Guard (WH40k): Only the 2nd paint scheme I’ve done for these particular chaps. Not that many are actually built so far, and won’t be until the new edition of WH40k comes out, because knowing my luck I’ll build them with options that work nicely in the current edition, only to be rubbish in the new one.
- Orks (WH40k): Again, not that many actually painted, even though I’m on my 2nd or 3rd paint scheme. Lately, I have had a real urge to build loads of crazy Ork vehicle conversions, although hopefully one of my up-coming projects might help me with this desire.
- Chaos Warriors (WHFB): Not particularly high on my list of priorities at the moment, but will crack on with them at some point.
Necromunda/Mad Max Campaign
Chatting with a few friends the other night about what other things we’d like to try out and play, and what we decided on was a Necromunda campaign, but one with a difference.
A while ago, GW released rules for playing Necromunda outside of the usual Hive City setting. There are even rules for vehicle creation/combat as well. So why don’t we take the core rules of Necromunda, these additional expanded rules, and build a game that we truly want to play. Where gang fights gang in a desolate, harsh environment simply to survive?
The possibilities for rule tweaking and model conversions is quite exciting. The next few weeks/months will consist of formulating ideas, play-testing and preparation.
This project has also given me the urge to make looks of Post-Apocalyptic style terrain to play around/on. I think a trip to Hobbycraft is on the books soon.
Well that all I can think to write currently. Within the next week I hope to get a few photos up of projects I’m currently working on, until then, take care everyone!