The Necromunda campaign I plan on running with some friends is a long way off, but lately I have been itching to make some vehicles for it. The two more useful reasons for this is to find a reliable source for models that are the right scale to convert (somewhere around the 1/35 scale) and secondly, when I have a few of them ready I want to play-test the vehicle rules themselves. On paper they look really good, but you can never know for sure until you actually play them.
For about a week I have been trawling websites looking for suitable models that aren’t too expensive. When I get a chance I’m also going to investing local pound-shops and see what they have to offer. Whilst browsing, more specifically on the Hobbcraft website, I stumbled across a Airfix Triumph Herald and I really liked the design. Just looking at it I was starting to visualise what I would alter in order for it to suit my needs.
So, I had a stab at modifying it today and here are the results! I’ll blabber on a bit more after the pictures.
I left a lot of components out of this kit when I was putting it together. Some of them were too fiddlely and unnecessery for what I require.
The first thing I did was saw the back-end off the Herald to get more of a pick-up truck shape. From the word go I intended the driver’s area to be fully enclosed with a mesh windscreen. This is partly due to me being lazy and not wanting to convert/paint a driver. It also helps game wise, as for me it would kind of ruin things if the driver gets out of his car, but there’s still a representation of him inside the car!
The pick-up part of the vehicle is going to be used as a gunner platform. You might be able to see in a couple of shots that I added a magnet to the top of the Herald. I plan to use this to easily swap out mounted guns. The space between the wheel arches is just big enough to fit a 25mm base (it’s a wee bit of a squeeze).
I added a few bits of treadplate and corrugated plasticard to enhance the bodge-job repair look of the thing. Also before undercoated I added some damage: scrapes with a sharp edge of a file and bulletholes with a small drill. I want this vehicle to look like it’s seen some combat. I also stuck on a ram from the front of a Space Marine Rhino kit (I think it’s from that kit, it could be from something similar. I just found it kicking around in my vehicle bits box).
I chose to undercoat the whole thing with Army Painter Leather Brown spray paint. This is what I have been using for the bits of terrain I have been painting and if you want things to look rusty it’s a really good start.
I did however forget to take photos after I had added a few areas of rust effect. But you’ll be able to see these when I do an update with some other vehicles, crew members and weapon attachments.
Oh, and I’d like to add, the large paint brush that came with this kit is actually of pretty good quality, which surprised me. I used it to paint most of this vehicle.
Hope you enjoyed the post. It was good fun converting this Triumph Herald!